|
|
|
Monday, December 04, 2006A Tale of Two EmmasEric and I are "period movie" junkies. Our favorite of all time is, of course, the A&E production of Pride and Prejudice starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. That's not to be confused with the insipid travesty by the same title starring Keira Knightley, released last year. But I'm not writing to quibble about that. 'Tis another day's rant. No, today I'm in the mood to chat about the differences between two versions of Jane Austen's Emma -- the first a Miramax film starring Gwyneth Paltrow (1996), and the second an A&E film starring Kate Beckinsale (1997). Both films are well cast, well filmed, and have delightful and effective soundtracks. Both have appropriate costumes, beautiful sets and lush photography. And both have winsome, lovable heroines. But for as much as I adore Gwyneth, I must ultimately choose the A&E version as the superior version. Kate Beckinsale's Emma is truer to Jane Austen's character and has far less "Hollywood dialogue" added ("I love John!" "I hate John!"). The A&E version is, overall, more for the "purist" and less for the let's-see-how-many-ways-we-can-showcase-the-charm-and-talent-and-carefully-crafted-British-accent-of-our-heroine than the Miramax version displays. True, the character of Miss Bates in the Miramax version is by far a funnier rendition (brilliantly played by Sophie Thompson), and there's a much more humorous feel to the movie. But in the end, the A&E version wins my hands-down vote for a better developed, better adapted, and better executed movie. It seems that some members of Jane Austen's family, who happened to be her "beta readers" and personal critique circle, felt that the subplot of Jane Fairfax and Frank Churchill was weak. Whether or not the reader agree with that assessment, the A&E version of Emma does a much better job of fleshing out the story of the secretly-engaged lovers, making the ultimate revelation more believable and satisfying. (The Miramax film tends to leave the viewer with a "huh?" feeling -- particularly if said viewer has never read the book [heaven forbid!].) Well, I feel better now. I'm sure your day has been enlightened by my not-so-shy opinions. I'd love to hear from other Austen fans who have seen both movie versions. Which was your favorite and why? Eric and I watch both of them on a regular basis, and in the end, I wouldn't want to do without either one. I'll save my vitriol for the most recent Pride and Prejudice attempt for another day. |
About Me
I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....
Previous Posts |
6of my readers are feeling chatty:
I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't seen either one (Emma not Pride or Prejudice) You have reminded me that I have the book and I've been looking for something better to read than what is currently on my nightstand (I wouldn't dare tell you what that is :-0 )
I still haven't managed to see that movie! :-O
Jillian! Thanks so much for the comments you left on my blog. I was so busy with different teaching projects. I haven't been able to blog in a really long time. I don't think I miss(ed) blogging. But I sure did miss reading other people's blogs (yours included of course)! I'm taking a two year break from teaching. So don't worry, I'm not going to "stop" teaching. =) You're right, I do love teaching. I just want to do other things for a while. =) P.S. I haven't watched either movie yet. =(
(hanging head in shame)
I haven't seen either one. Well...I've seen part of the Paltrow version.
I am a fan of P&P. The A&E version is, of course, far superior, but I didn't hate the other. I enjoyed Donald Sutherland's portrayal of Mr. Bennett. I am a huge fan of Colin Firth. He will always be number 1 with me!
um... Me likey Pride & Prejudice movie. DramaMama loves Colin Firth. Even in Nanny McPhee. LOL
Not familiar with Emma, I must admit.
I bought DramaMama the book several years ago, but neither of us has read it. I think I paid 80 cents for it.
I would definitely concur with your observations. While I enjoy watching all period dramas, the non-hollywood versions have a more authentic look and feel. I must confess however, being completely deprived of having read any of Jane Austin's books... I know. Very sad and pathetic...I'm certain I would absolutely enjoy them because I am a period drama junkie and have been for years. Though I always end up seeing them on PBS...Are those the same ones that end up on A & E? lol
Post a Comment
<< Home