Friday, August 11, 2006

A Sign

Office doors don't do any good if everybody keeps barging in, anyway.

I tend to get a little...um...frustrated when strings of children interrupt my afternoon writing time. Most of the time they remember to knock, but the sound of their little knuckles rap-rapping on my door doesn't do much to endear them to me. I'm known for snarling at these times.

The other day I was to the point of desperation. I was on a roll, plunging passionately ahead with the novel, and the interruptions were driving me to distraction. Jonathan received the brunt of my irritation, but he rose above his own frustration and said,

"Do you want me to make a sign for your door?"

Wow -- what a neat kid! I immediately accepted his offer. I've had child-written signs on my door in the past, and they work. Maybe it's because the signs are made by my children, with sweet little smilies or cute messages that announce how busy Mommy is. But whatever the reason, I'm all for them.

Jonathan grabbed a sheet of paper and a red marker and left my office. A couple of minutes later he announced that the sign was up. He wanted me to come and see it, of course, so I popped into the hallway to read the sign that had been taped to my door:

Do not disturb! Violators will be punished!!!

Not exactly the sentiment I'd had in mind. Still, what did I expect from a fourteen-year-old? The grin on his face was priceless, and I knew the sign had to stay right where it was.

It's still there.

And you know what? I've finished two entire chapters since then. I think the sign may become a permanent fixture on my office door.

I love teenagers. I really do!

7of my readers are feeling chatty:

At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Violators will be punished....now that's what I call getting to the point! :0)

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a child, I once put a sign on my door that said, "No trespassing. Violaters WILL be persecuted!"

I thought that's what all the "no trespassing" signs really said.

It made sense to me!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Hmmmm...that sounds a lot like something a certain older sister would have done to get rid of a certain younger sister many years ago!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger The Blogging Boss said...

Well, his signs are a heck of a lot better than the girl's signs. They threaten loss of property, civil rights, limbs and ultimately life.

Love you my dearest.

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe - I guess, Jonathan hit the nail on the head so do speak :)...Great kiddo!!!!

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Now if only the Bear could READ!

 
At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, if your kids have to get punished so that I can read this book then so be it! Good job Johnathan! Now back to writing again...

I will not disturb Mommy.
I will not disturb Mommy.
I will not disturb Mommy.
I will not disturb Mommy.
.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....


Subscribe to my RSS feed
Previous Posts
Labels
Currently reading:
  • Jillian's Old Diaries from high school....real page turners, to be sure
  • Love Busters by Willard Harley

    Powered by Blogger

    Free Page Rank Checker

    All content of this website is copyright © 2005-2008 Jill Schafer Boehme. All rights reserved. Nothing on this web site, whether in part or in full, may be reproduced in any manner without the written consent of the author.