|
|
|
Thursday, August 10, 2006No Ball For CinderellaI never read blogs that are nothing more than a series of bellyaches about the trials and disappointments of somebody's life. Who needs to hear the constant complaints of a discontent blogger who has nothing positive to say about anything? Not me. Okay, now that I've gotten that off my chest -- I'm going to bellyache. It's been a bummer of a summer. We had to cancel our vacation -- that means two years in a row with no sight or smell of the ocean. It also means that it will be a minimum of nine months until I see my parents again. Yes, we got half our deposit back on the condo. Actually, that was a tremendous blessing, because I needed that money for homeschooling purposes. But the feeling of having invested even a small amount of money on a vacation that never occurred has left Eric and me feeling a bit, well, high and dry. Deflated. My dear husband did an amazing thing, though. He booked a room at a bed and breakfast for our anniversary this Sunday. He lined up an overnight babysitter and set the whole thing up -- secretly. I can't tell you how I shrieked with delight when he revealed the surprise. Things like this just don't happen a lot, you know? Don't get me wrong -- if we had the means, Eric would take me everywhere he could at any opportunity: San Francisco, London, the Caribbean. But we have neither the means nor sufficient childcare for such ventures. So a surprise, overnight date at a beloved bed and breakfast that's only fifteen minutes from our home is a treasure, to say the least. Last night, our babysitter backed out. Our plans are, once again, foiled. No doubt we'll have a nice dinner somewhere and maybe laugh together at a few stupid wedding photographs (yes, they're stupid). But, oh. What a disappointment. We've talked about the possibility of going anyway. Jonathan is fourteen, after all, and we trust him. It's not like our kids are in Pull-ups and toddler shoes. But I don't know. Going on a date is one thing, but leaving the chickens overnight without an adult? I don't think I can do that. Not yet. So, my Fairy Godmother's wand exploded, and the pumpkin turned into soup instead of a fine coach. This Cinderella's not going anywhere on Sunday night. But she still has her Prince Charming. And he's by far the best part of the deal. |
About Me
I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....
Previous Posts
|
8of my readers are feeling chatty:
Oh how disappointing. I am so sorry that your plans fell through. I know how excited you were. But just think...a dinner out with their own Prince Charming is something some women have yet to experience. And heck, you're married to yours. Your trip will come...just as your Prince did;o)
Aww, I'm sorry, you know I can relate!
I have to say that I totally agree with your decision not to go though - Vince and I have pondered the same question and we've decided we may steal a quiet weekend or two alone in about one more year, when we have an 18 year old and a 16 year old.
It's not the teenagers I don't trust, it's the world around them.
Have a wonderful anniversary anyway you two! At least you can be glad you don't have to kiss any toads, right? ;-)
*heart*
Happy anniversary.
Trips away are great, but just remember that what makes them great is who you are with.
Happy Anniversary! =) May God continue to bless your marriage. =)
Happy Anniversary! I know that you will enjoy your time together no matter where you are.
Happy anniversary!
I'm sorry things didn't work out for a get-away.
:(
SO SAD! I hope you can find some time soon for a getaway!
Happy Anniversary!
I'm so sorry it didn't work out. If I was closer I'd be babysitting in a heartbeat.
Post a Comment
<< Home