Monday, August 07, 2006

Mac-n-Cheese, Raw Baby Carrots, and a Nightcrawler

It really did happen.

I opened the refrigerator and reached for the glass bowl of raw baby carrots that was sitting on the top shelf. Before my hand actually made contact with the bowl, I noticed a dark...something...in with the carrots.

I leaned forward and squinted through the etched floral design on the bowl's surface. There was definitely something very-not-orange in there. It was brown. And long. And slender.

And moving.

Yes, indeed. There among the feisty little carrots lay a live nightcrawler (a.k.a. butt-ugly earthworm).

Now, housing nightcrawlers in my refrigerator is not an unusual occurrence. We often buy the little buggers at Wal-Mart so that the kiddies can feed them to their toads. And, of course, nightcrawlers are a staple for any avid fisherman.

And yes, there was a container of nightcrawlers in the refrigerator when the carrot invasion occurred.

But the lid was on. And the worm container was two shelves down.

Of course I immediately figured that Jonathan had played one of his oh-so-charming pranks, and I called him in for questioning.

He found the situation highly amusing, but he was not the culprit.

The girls were horrified; they had played no part in it, either.

So how the heck did a six-inch nightcrawler get into my bowl of raw carrots?

No, don't answer that. I don't really want to hear about the characteristics of mutant earthworms that can squeeze beneath plastic lids and end up inside plastic-wrap-covered bowls of raw vegetables.

Maybe he was just hungry.

The carrots flew directly into the garbage disposal. And as far as I know, the nightcrawler flew directly into the stomach of the nearest toad.

Ugh.

The whole reason I don't garden is the bugs-n-worms out there. It's so not fair that I have to deal with creatures nestled among my store-bought produce.

I'm never eating raw carrots again.

9of my readers are feeling chatty:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I hear they taste like chicken. or was that Iguana lips, I keep getting the two mixed up.

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger Kerrie said...

LOLOL! We keep the turtle's ... um ... fresh treats in the garage refrigerator!
Aren't you glad he didn't get into a bowl of fresh ramen noodles? ;-)

 
At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have screamed.....that is just nasty! I'm off to check the lid on the boys' worm container. YUCK!

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

I can't do it. I can't put worms in my fridge. Here's hoping Ida and John don't want them, don't need them, and don't even ask me to keep them IN my kitchen! I'm off to scour my fridge...it will just make me feel better(shiver)!

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once found a worm in my cup of tea.

He was in the teabag...didn't come out until he got boiling water poured over him, which, of course, cooked him.

Yum, yum.

(I threw the cup out, too.)

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Erica Hanks said...

Ok...I would have screamed! Just thinking about it gives me the heebie jeebies!

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't even question Eric?

I once put a rubber mouse in the fridge when I was a kid. Two rooms away the scream she made almost gave ME a heart attack. She thought it was funny... three days later!

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger The Blogging Boss said...

Ken, maybe you are on to something... Funny how it took another father to even consider that..... :)

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah you wish they were as ugly as you say - but you just don't realize the true beauty of the soft, slender, healthy tasty fish treats which are best served on a hook. Also they are great food for toads. Yes, you know this but it is a friendly reminder NOT TO INSULT MY PRECIOUS PETS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....


Subscribe to my RSS feed
Previous Posts
Labels
Currently reading:
  • Jillian's Old Diaries from high school....real page turners, to be sure
  • Love Busters by Willard Harley

    Powered by Blogger

    Free Page Rank Checker

    All content of this website is copyright © 2005-2008 Jill Schafer Boehme. All rights reserved. Nothing on this web site, whether in part or in full, may be reproduced in any manner without the written consent of the author.