|
|
|
Friday, August 04, 2006Big, Exciting, Tax-Free Shopping TripI've lived in Tennessee for eighteen years, and this is the first time I've ever heard of the "tax vacation." Tennessee doesn't have a state tax, you see, so we pay nine-and-a-quarter percent on everything -- everything -- that we purchase. Food, clothing, tickets to the movie theatre...everything. So once a year, for three days, we're granted "tax free" shopping on clothing, school supplies (including computers!) and shoes. Guess who wrote it on her calendar and planned ahead for a big school supply and sneakers-for-the-girls shopping trip on August 4th? Guess who's exhausted? It was bad enough that our minivan wasn't finished with its break repairs before closing yesterday, so I started the day out with no car. Eric and I squeezed three children into the back seat of his BMW and drove to the Toyota dealer to pick up a nifty little Corolla for the day. If driving a brand new car didn't make shopping fun, nothing would. We hit Target, WalMart, Hobby Lobby, and the dance store (where I was informed, after my purchase, that ballet shoes were not included in the tax break). The "new car" smell was beginning to really bother us as we headed toward home. Silly me. It wasn't a "new car" smell at all. It was the smell of an entire bottle of Windex that had spilled in the trunk while we were driving. Hear me. An entire bottle -- all over the trunk of a brand new rental car. "What are you going to do?" Maggie shrieked. Actually, I'm going to return the Corolla this afternoon and act like nothing happened. What else can I do? I'm not going to stand out in my garage with a hairdryer and blow the Windex out of the trunk. And it's colorless -- there's no actual stain. It's just...wet. Wet and a little...soapy. I'm too tired to care. Oh, and it just got better. It's storming out there. I'm now going to go return my Windex-soaked rental car in the middle of a torrential downpour. Somebody had better hand me a glass of very nice Chardonnay this evening. Still, I'm awfully happy with my eighty-eight-cent markers and tax-free sneakers. I get so used to mentally adding ten percent to everything I purchase that today was certainly a nice break. I'm off to trade in a Windexed Corolla for a smelly old Sienna. Enjoy your weekend! |
About Me
I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....
Previous Posts
|
6of my readers are feeling chatty:
Well, at least you returned the car extra clean!! We do not have tax on clothing and shoes here in New Jersey. A lot of people come here from New York to shop and the New York governor has add some tax free days that happen every August. Enjoy your glass of wine.
That is one thing that always always catches me out shopping in the States. We have our gst added already so the price you see is the price, I always forget tax is added to things over there, I should know by now lol.
To answer your question here you go, the flat part refers to the froth http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/11656
What's the tax on a 5-finger discount?
We have the tax free days...both in FL and VA. But I avoid them at all costs. The crowds scared me away! Now...are you going to blog about the ceiling? ;o)
Nice! Every little bit helps! We have no tax on food here. Kinda spiffy!
I got to enjoy the tax free break while I was in TN, too! I am blown away by how much tax we pay on things there.....sheesh!
Post a Comment
<< Home