Monday, August 14, 2006

And To Think I Was Actually Grumbling...

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. -- Romans 8:28



Eric has reminded me over and over and over again that I really need to learn to view the glass as half full. That's always been a stretch for me. Despite my faith in God and my overall exuberance for life, I'm too much of a realist (or, in Eric's view, a pessimist) for my own good.


Granted, sometimes it's worked in my favor. Years ago, when Jonathan was just a year old, I suffered a miscarriage. I knew I was losing the baby; I knew there was nothing we could do. Yet Eric, always the optimist, looked at the doctor and said, "But her temperature is still up, so doesn't that mean maybe...?"


Dear Eric. He wanted everything to be okay, despite every possible bit of evidence to the contrary. My realism, on the other hand, told me that it was over; the baby was gone. I knew my temperature was still up become the hormones were dropping slowly, not suddenly. It was my depth of knowledge about the situation that gave me that assurance -- not a bout of pessimism.


At any rate, I will admit that, for the most part, Eric's sense of "the glass is half full" is certainly more of a blessing than a curse. This weekend is a prime example.


You listened to me bellyache about our spoiled anniversary plans. Several of you reminded me that Eric and I would be able to enjoy our special day no matter where we were or what we did together. (And Ken, the offer to babysit-if-you-were-closer is deeply appreciated.)


Well, you were right.

Eric and I decided that, in lieu of our night-in-a-bed-and-breakfast, we would celebrate our anniversary all weekend long with a series of "little outings." We kicked it off with a Friday night date at our favorite pub in downtown Franklin. Saturday included a trip to the furniture store and subsequent purchase of the Very Last Remaining wine cabinet that we'd been fawning over for months. Sunday began with worship at church -- just the two of us -- and included shopping, glasses of wine, and, later, candlelight and champagne on the screened-in porch.


Know what? We had a really special weekend. No, it was more than that: it was awesome.


Something happened even before our official "Anniversary Weekend" began, though. Eric received a check in the mail from the owners of the condo that we had put a downpayment on at the shore. We already expected to receive half our deposit back. What we didn't expect was the check itself, which was for the entire amount of the downpayment, minus the realtor's fee.

Funny how I'd forgotten my earnest prayer to the Lord just a couple of weeks earlier, for favor and grace. Funny how He answered the prayer, despite my having forgotten uttering it. What had I prayed? Two things: One, that the owners would be blessed with someone to rent the week that we had given up, so that they wouldn't lose money; and two, that we would receive our money back.

Yep. It's been a weekend of a complete outpouring of love and blessing...and the turning of two "bad situations" into good ones. We didn't get to take a trip to the ocean this year, but we received a precious reminder of God's love for us. We didn't get to spend a night in our favorite local bed and breakfast, but we had endless hours of Splendid Time Together, simply reveling in the "being together" that has been the hallmark of our marriage for the past eighteen years.


It was my husband's optimism about the weekend's potential that brought me to a place of, "Okay, we can do this -- and it will be wonderful." How thankful I am that his glass remains half full.

Want to hear about my favorite moment? I'd already brewed the coffee on Sunday morning, when suddenly Eric announced to the nearest child, "I'm taking my bride out for breakfast." His bride! I felt about twenty-two years old just then.

I think I will always be Eric's "bride." And I think I'll add a little water to my glass the next time it's looking empty.

12of my readers are feeling chatty:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger Erica Hanks said...

Yea! I'm glad you had a special weekend! I guess the "ask and ye shall receive" works more than we think!

 
At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi - this is awesome. Sometimes we don't see the blessings that come out of a distaster (in our eyes). God had something much better planned for you.
Cool that you guys had such a memorable anniversary...
You know that my hubby never calls my by my first name (or rarely)...He always calls me Sweety :)...I love that.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Dave said...

DramaMama calls me "Honey" and "Davy" most of the time. I throw in "Sweetie", and "Honey".

When we are feeling a little silly, she calls me "Loverboy", and I call her "Lover..." well, never mind.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Jillian said...

Eric almost never calls me "Jill," either....but there is no way I'm going to tell you what my nickname is. :)

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

I know what it is;o)

When Tom uses "Jamie" I know I'm in for a very serious conversation.

So glad you had such a wonderful weekend. SEE...you don't always need to go to the ball:o)

XOXOX

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have chills....the little tiny blonde hairs on my arms are standing at attention. What a beautiful weekend! I love Eric!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you, too...:)I'm so happy that you were blessed in so many ways. God is good.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger robin said...

You guys should go out an get a matching tatoo or something.

Sorry.

I just couldn't think of anything more romantic than being your husband's bride for 18 years (and counting).

Except maybe getting a tatoo to mark the occasion!

Robin

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Jill:

Maybe YOU wont! MAHAHAHAHA!

ring ring... Hey Eric, what is Jill's Nickname?

WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH

REALLY!?!?!?! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to have a lovely time!

Sometimes all you really do need is love.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Kerrie said...

Aww! Sweet! :)

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill, you might make me a believer one of these days! :)

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a mush. I'm happy for your love and blessings. Sounds like a marvelous weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....


Subscribe to my RSS feed
Previous Posts
Labels
Currently reading:
  • Jillian's Old Diaries from high school....real page turners, to be sure
  • Love Busters by Willard Harley

    Powered by Blogger

    Free Page Rank Checker

    All content of this website is copyright © 2005-2008 Jill Schafer Boehme. All rights reserved. Nothing on this web site, whether in part or in full, may be reproduced in any manner without the written consent of the author.