|
|
|
Friday, July 21, 2006Writers, A Breed ApartThere are many subgenres of human being that belong in a class of their own. Thespians. Musicians. Particle physicists. Workers at humane shelters. You know what I mean. I can claim membership, past or present, in several subgenres: I've done the theatre thing, the music thing, the cloth-diapers-are-best-for-baby's-bottom thing. The one that has prevailed, though, is the writer thing. Dave (a.k.a. Cheezweezil) called me last Friday night. (That he later accused me of having a mildly "Southern Belle" accent I will deal with later. Privately. After I've sharpened my batleth.) Now, Dave's a nice guy and fellow blogger; Eric and I have both enjoyed getting to know him. He didn't call for my famous macaroni and cheese recipe or to check on the weather in Nashville, though. He called because he and I exist in the same subgenre. We write. You see, Dave had a breakthrough on a chapter he'd been working on. He was excited. He needed to talk with somebody who really understood. And I do. Any serious writer would. It's a "writer thing." Not only do Dave and I share the "writing thing," but we both write for the under-18 crowd. Middle Grade/Young Adult writing is a whole 'nuther monkey when compared to writing for adults. Dave's heart for kids and gift for storytelling are going to propel him forward at a steady rate. You wait and see. Dave's a genius at critiquing, too. He's done more for the handful of chapters I've sent him than I've ever been able to accomplish on my own. It's not unusual for a writer to have a sharper eye for someone else's work, which is why it's so important to network with someone whose writing you respect. (Attention writers: did you make a note of that?) Know what else is important? You've got to be willing to really, really listen when somebody reads your work, looks you squarely in the face, and says, "This sucks." Well, okay. Dave would never say that to me. But he is quick to point out when something is unclear. And unclear writing does suck. He's so good with his virtual red pencil, in fact, that I am a little intimidated when critiquing his stuff. I want to be sure I'm as helpful to him as he is to me. This "we're in the same subgenre" stuff is vital to the survival and growth of any writer. Spouses are cool. Eric is my biggest in-house support system. He listens to me read each and every chapter out loud -- even the (gasp) first drafts. (Real writers know that "first draft" is a synonym for "kindling.") I could not write without his love, support, and affirmation. No way. But Eric, bless his Yankee heart, does not exist in my subgenre. I could not ask him to do a written critique or ask his opinion about the quality of the "beats" in my dialogue. (Though, to be fair, Eric is awfully good at telling me when my dialogue sounds dorky.) So to Dave and all the other aspiring writers out there: I am honored to share a subgenre with you. Press on, engage yourself with other writers, and read the best books you can get your hands on. Ask questions, research, write until your fingers bleed. Read some more, have others read your work, and keep writing. One more thing. Don't take yourself too seriously. You'll never make it if you can't laugh at yourself. Heck, I do that all the time. Oh, and Dave...thanks for the call. I have high hopes for you, my friend! Labels: writing |
About Me
I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....
Previous Posts |
5of my readers are feeling chatty:
I knew he had read something of yours when he mentioned Perin Faye a long time back in one of his replies to your blog entry.....
Well I'm no writer but I do see the enormous amount of respect you have for Dave and I think it's great to have someone to go to when you need to chat about your works in progess.
Dave writes a mean poop story too! It's no wonder you two hit it off. ;-D
WOW!
I don't know what to say, but... thank you!
Kerrie: Poop runs in a writer's blood (figuratively of course) :D
I firmly believe that to be a success at writing, there needs to be a solid support structure behind the writer.
Whether that structure is spouse, family, writer groups, or trusted friends that are in your same boat.
I value the friendship we have forged over this strange phenomenon called writing. I feel that it will help propel both of us onto greater things.
I also have high hopes for you, and have no doubt that you will someday become a household name.
Write on McDuff!
What a wonderful and informative post. Thank you Jillian for sharing this. I wish for one day that I could write as well as you do, but get hung up with my German 'accent'. Yeah - you can tell my 'accent' even in my writing :)...Well, I guess I just keep practicing and we will see where God is leading...
Have a blessed weekend.
Dave -- and you thought you'd scared me away. :)
Eph -- I love your German "accent" and I love your heart for the Lord.
Post a Comment
<< Home