Friday, July 14, 2006

View From the Hammock



Our first hammock died a prolonged, violent death. It was too difficult to say "no," you see, when gleeful youngsters wanted to sit in it sideways and propel themselves from zero to sixty in five seconds.

Once the tattered remains were taken down, we went hammockless for a few summers. Sometimes we'd gaze wistfully out the back windows at the space-where-the-hammock-used-to-be. But money was needed for other things, and "new hammock" did not make the top twenty.

Two weeks ago, we bought a new hammock on clearance. Hence the photo. Kind of makes you want to crawl right in, doesn't it?

Not me. There are too many bugs.

Last weekend, I was merely standing by the hammock talking with Eric, who was lounging with a Merlot, for less than five minutes. I was eaten alive. There was nary a bite upon Eric's fine legs, mind you. Only mine. And my arms. It's like the mosquitoes were lying in wait for me.

And then there are the ticks. You all know that ticks drop out of the trees like bloodthirsty paratroopers, land on your head, and suck your brains out before you realize what's happened. That, and they give you all sorts of nasty diseases.

Add the flies, bees, wasps, and spiders, and the hammock has long ceased to be a source of temptation for me.

Still. It looks nice out there between the trees. And nothing's quite as cute as two or three children squashed together in its middle, bottoms bulging through the mesh, arms dangling languidly from the sides.

It's the epitome of Summer.

May there be a hammock in your weekend!

8of my readers are feeling chatty:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* I always wanted a hammock :) but I've always lived in the west, not as many trees, at least not where I've lived. We have lots of mosquitoes, but not as many tics.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Can I hang mine inside to avoid the bugs???

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love hammocks. Our neighbors have one and their children are always abusing it.
Hammocks look very inviting. I think I'd fall asleep in it if I had one and then the bugs would crawl on me. I'd wake up, scream, flip over, and injure myself. Yep. That's definitely what would happen. I guess it's best that we are a hammock free family.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Dave said...

For us here in Arizona, a hammock is more like a spit. The temperature is getting around 115 these days.

I need more toenails. :)

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We gave Dad a hammock many years ago and it finally died last Summer. He didn't want to replace it. I do miss it. I had many a long relaxing nap in it and yes. Kids do look cute in it. The link I left shows a picture of how the beloved hammock died.

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I does sound great to lay around, between some trees and let life be...Just relaxing. But I would be the same, regarding mosquitoes. They 'eat me alive'. I guess that is why in a way I like Arizona (not right now - mind you - 110-115F - no thank you very much). NO BUGS!!! You see, they die in this kind of heat very easy - hehe. Heat=Bug-be-gone.
I do miss the green though and I wouldn't mind putting some repellent on myself for a few moments around trees.
Have a blessed day...

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Jillian,
Do TN ticks REALLY fall out of the trees in search of meaty scalps??? Sometimes I can be so literal and with all the science channels, I wouldn't be surprised to hear this is true...how do you let your kids outside? No choice, I know...

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Jillian said...

Ken -- what link??

Sister -- Go ahead -- there's plenty of room in your piano room. :)

Kathie -- Yes, they really do fall out of trees; especially cedar trees. I try to remember to tell my chickens to put hats on when they're out in the woods. If they weren't wearing hats, I make them check each other's heads. (What, you think I'M going to do it?) The first time I ever saw a tick was when I worked at the daycare. A little girl had one attached to her scalp, right on the top of her little head. I was her teacher, but I made someone else remove the tick!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....


Subscribe to my RSS feed
Previous Posts
Labels
Currently reading:
  • Jillian's Old Diaries from high school....real page turners, to be sure
  • Love Busters by Willard Harley

    Powered by Blogger

    Free Page Rank Checker

    All content of this website is copyright © 2005-2008 Jill Schafer Boehme. All rights reserved. Nothing on this web site, whether in part or in full, may be reproduced in any manner without the written consent of the author.