|
|
|
Wednesday, July 12, 2006Mom/Daughter Writers' LunchNaturally, I've given birth to a daughter who, at the age of twelve, is already cranking out novels. Naturally. When I was her age, I was writing, too. Except I never wrote anything but poems, short stories, and the occasional first-few-pages of the Novel Of My Dreams. Somehow, I never got past the initial idea. So I've got to say that I'm awfully impressed with my daughter's tenacity and creativity. If she's not published by the time she's twenty-five, I'll be shocked. At any rate, Maggie's been after me for the past couple of weeks to schedule another "writers' date." In other words, the two of us grab our notebooks and pens and head somewhere with comfy chairs, like Starbucks. Well, today was the day. I invited Maggie to join me on a jaunt to Enjoue, my favorite boutique (and if you pop over to the web site, please know that the photographs don't even begin to capture the charm and style of the place). The gift certificate that Eric so generously bestowed upon me at Christmastime was still hanging out in my purse, and the store's huge, forty-percent-off sale told me that the time was ripe for spending it. Maggie was an absolute doll while I merrily chatted with the store manager and tried on a few choice items. Then, with the Perfect Cream-colored Blouse and a gorgeous pair of hand-forged earrings in tow, I led my lovely daughter across the street to one of the coolest sandwich shops around. We ordered lunch and fruit tea, and hunkered down with our notebooks. You know, I actually got something done. I'm at the stage of my novel (chapter 21, if you're counting) where everything starts to tie together and build toward the big climax. It's important for me at this stage to keep my ducks in a row as I go, so that I stay on course. Having a "writers' lunch" was the perfect thing for me and for my book. Maggie got a lot accomplished, too. I can't tell you how rewarding it was to watch her sitting at the table, scribbling away with her blue and white pen, her hair pulled back into long, sleek pigtails and her glasses sitting perkily on her nose. She is the quintessential writer! She is passionate and devoted and temperamental and way too much like her mother for her own good. Fortunately she has enough of her daddy in her to balance her out. That, and she's got dimples. Can you tell I've just had a wonderful time with my darling girl? And now I'm ready to dig in and get this chapter underway. Thank you, Maggie! You are an inspiration. Labels: writing |
About Me
I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....
Previous Posts |
6of my readers are feeling chatty:
Jill, you know don't know how much good it did my heart to read this post.
What a lovely outing!
That is precious! I wish someone had taken a picture of you two. :-)
That is really cool. I have done the "restaurant write" only once. It was on a lunch break from work at an Applebees. As they are notoriously slow there, I had a good long writing session. It was quite nice, because nobody bothered me. It is next to impossible for me to have an hour to myself at the computer at home.
For example. THe Bear was downstairs playing on mommy's computer. I moved upstairs to do some work. It was less than a minute, and the Bear was right there wanting to play a game on my computer.
I sent him packing because I really did have work to do. I did that work, now am putting off my own work. ARRRR.
Been writing rather well lately. I think I have wrapped up chapter 3-1/2 and it has some really good stuff in it.
I told Erica something in it, and it made her mad. (Sort of).
I posed this question to her:
"What would you do if I said I killed Smudge today?"
I wont tell her what happened, I said she has to read it.
She flew off... How can you kill him?!?!?! he's one of the main characters!
"Honey, it's the new chapter 4."
"How can you kill him off in chapter 4????"
"Exactly."
Arooo?
So anyway, I am going to type it in, polish it a bit, then I'll post it in my blog.
I think you'll like it.
*gasp* Smudge is my cat!
I don't think I like Dave anymore.
;-)
Sounds like a great day. It's nice when your kid is your friend, too.
What a fantastic day!!! can't imagine a better one, actually. So happy for you and your daughter.
Post a Comment
<< Home