|
|
|
Friday, July 28, 2006Make My Day
"I'm going to go pick up Jonathan," I said to Rachel as I grabbed my car keys. Jonathan had been fishing all afternoon. He normally rides his bike to the river and back, but on this particular day he called and asked if I could please pick him up. I guess I was feeling benevolent, because I told him I'd be there in ten minutes. Rachel picked up on the benevolence. "You're really in a giving mood today," she said. "Am I?" "Yes," Rachel went on. "You're doing really nice things. You took me to Publix this morning and gave me three dollars so I could buy butter for the fudge, and now you're picking Jonathan up." I was glowing inside by this time. It would have been great if Rachel had stopped right there, allowing me to bask in her praise. But she didn't. She had one more thing to say. "It really isn't like you." Thank you, Rachel. I'm glad to know that I'm normally a self-absorbed, mean ol' mommy. Lucky for you and Jonathan I snapped out of it for a little while in order to "do nice things" for you both. Sheesh. You thought that was a toad up there, didn't you? No, that's me, during a full moon. Most days, I keep my children locked in the guest bathroom. I slip them dry bread under the door when I think of it. Neighbors have asked questions about the cat-o-nine-tails I've got hanging on the deck out back. And I make my children walk everywhere, including ballet classes, which are five miles away. I never bake cookies, never give them their allowance, never kiss them good night, never spend time teaching them how to multiply fractions or find a prepositional phrase. Aren't you glad I'm not your mother? I may need counseling for this one... |
About Me
I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....
Previous Posts |
11of my readers are feeling chatty:
OH MY GOODNESS! LMSO! I'm sorry but that was funny!
he he he!
"Dad you do squat around here!"
"Hmmm, when did you eat last? how about getting dressed? oh and then there's that bedroom thing..."
"Yeah, yeah"
"Yeah, yeah... clean your room"
***
It comes with the territory. No parent is appreciated in their own home.
Oh that is just part of being a parent isn't it? Anyways I am studying psychology. Poor student you know. So if you want counseling you can call anytime and there will be a discount! I think it is something from you childhood
I am very sure that Rachel didn't mean it the way it came out. I mean, I think she just said what she wanted to say the wrong way. I think she just meant that you were being extra extra nice that day. =) That you are usually just nice or just extra nice. =)
Oh. You mean this isn't NORMAL parental behavior? Huh... It's really a shame how BRUTALLY honest kids can be! We teach them to respect OTHER people... but they don't seem to get it where family is concerned! I'm SURE Rachel was being a bit sarcastic! (that's MY story!)
Anyway... Wendy sent me over - and now I'm glad she did! ;)
I just knew you were a mean old toad! I didn't just say 'old' did I? I didn't really mean that. It was just a figure of speach. Really!
Funny, I don't think parents start being appreciated until the kids are grown up.
Sent here by the other Wendy.
Here from Wendys. :)
Is there anywhere for children to be except locked in a guest bathroom. ;)
My kids have been known to say "Mom, would you get a babysitter and go somewhere? Call Mikayla!!!" Uh-huh, love you too cutie pie.
I keep revisiting this post because the story and that frog picture crack me up every time! :-D
You are too funny. But that is exactly how I feel, but I only have one to take care off. And maybe not much longer, since he has applied for a job in Sweden...
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on rearing our children. Although it is a tough and underappreciated job - it still is fun and rewarding.
Post a Comment
<< Home