Monday, July 24, 2006

Cool Whip: Good-bye Forever!

Behold: Summer Berry Pie.

You've had some version of this in your life, somewhere along the way. Maybe your version was slathered in bottled cherry goo and nestled in a store-bought, foil ensconced, I-think-this-is-supposed-to-be-a-graham-cracker-crust-but-it-tastes-like-cardboard crust.

Heck, maybe you like crusts that taste like cardboard.

But I've posted this photograph today for those of you who read my glowing review of The Fat Fallacy and wondered how it might be possible for you to make some "French Diet" changes in your own life.

Voila! I give you the Cool-Whipless pie.

Almost every "summer" pie or "ice cream" pie or "pour it into a ready-made crust" pie calls for Cool Whip. Now, you may already know this, but Cool Whip is not whipped cream. It's whipped...something. But it's not exactly food. And eating the French diet is about eating real food. Not chemicals.

So, here's an easy answer for all your summer pies: Whip your own cream. It's that simple!

Never whipped your own cream before? Here's how you do it:

Chill a metal bowl in the freezer for a few minutes. When it's nice and cold, pour in 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and 2 to 3 tablespoons of powdered or super-fine sugar. Plug in your electric beaters and go to town. In a chilled bowl, it'll whip up in no time.

One word of warning: don't over-whip it. You'll end up with homemade butter.

Take the wonderful, fresh, fluffy whipped cream and use it instead of that nasty Cool Whip stuff in your favorite pie recipes.

Whip up another cup to use on top of the pie. Or on top of anything else your heart desires.

Whole-fat, organic cream is good for you. And anything labeled "non-dairy" or "non-fat" or "reduced fat" is not.

Neither is anything that's called "creme." That's the manufacturer's way of saying, "Please note that this does not contain cream, or we would have spelled it that way. This stuff actually belongs in the same category as shaving creme, except you eat it instead of slathering it on your face."

And the crust? I made it myself. (Handing the organic graham crackers and a rolling pin to my fourteen-year-old made it go a lot faster. He made the crumbs, I did the rest.)

Tiny changes, baby steps, huge health benefits in the long run.

That, and a delightful way to satiate your sweet tooth. (Yes, I'm aware that there isn't any choclate in this pie. I do occasionally make a dessert without chocolate in it. Occasionally.)

Want to learn more? Don't worry. I'm writing a book about it...

16of my readers are feeling chatty:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Erica Hanks said...

YUM! Fresh whipped cream tastes soooo much better! I think Cool Whip is made from whipped soy + chemicals. Sick! If you've ever seen a tub of Cool Whip melted, you'd never want to eat it again! Yuck!

Hope you're having a good summer! We're good...just melting!

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger The Blogging Boss said...

and it was awesome darling!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Jillian said...

drama mama -- I don't know how you survive in that heat. No wonder you're having visions of melted Cool Whip! LOL

These are the actual ingredients:

Water, hydrogenated coconut and palm kernel oils, corn syrup, sugar, sodium caseinate, dextrose, polysorbate 60, natural and artificial flavors, sorbitan monostearate, xanthan gum and guar gum. Artificial color.


Ewwwwww!!!

Blogging Boss -- Thank you, Darling. :)

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Cool Whip. I just purchased a large tub of it last night. Eeeekkk!
I made my own whip cream before and it was nasty. I guess I didn't realize I needed to add sugar. DUH!!!!!!!!
Your pie looks heavenly. Yum!!!!

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Kerrie said...

Hey! Speaking of sparkling white sub-food products, in his short-term contract days Vince worked for DuPont where he learned about one of their favorite products - Titanium Dioxide, a brilliant white pigment that's one of the most widely used food colorings. In different grades it's used in everything from the white lines on the highway to the little m's on M&Ms!
Tasty! :-D

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe - yeah all this nasty, chemical stuff is really not good for your. Guess what, we eat butter instead of margarine in this house. And not some watered down butter either. We have ours importanted *grin*.

 
At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill, you are writing a book about it??? Wonderful! I have made very small changes since reading The Fat Fallacy, but have found it hard. I am paying much more attention to ingredients.
The pie looks pretty.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Jerry Novick said...

as if I wasn't hungry before...

Oddly enough, I did have fresh berries and melon for breakfast today.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Jillian said...

Lisa -- Keep reading. :)

Kerrie -- OH, yes...tell me about it!

Eph -- What butter do you use?? There are several imported brands available at our local natural foods store, but they are expensive!


Debz -- HELLO THERE!!! Yes I am, but it's still in the outline stage. I've got to finish my current novel first. How are you??

Jerry -- What, berries with no pie attached? ;)

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger robin said...

YES!

I have read both of Will Clowers books and it all makes so much sense! And REAL Whipped Cream is sooooooo much better!

We are making small changes in our house. The hardest for me is soda. The hardest for the kids and my husband is cereal.

Can't wait to buy your book!!!

robin

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill, I started reading the book and quit. I'm terrible about reading anyway but quite honestly, it felt like the writer was saying the same thing over and over again just in different ways. I realize that in order to get a point across, this has to be done to a certain degree but it really turned me off.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Jillian said...

Robin -- Just so you know, it took me TWO WHOLE YEARS to finally kick my Coke-a-day habit. That was a hard one...and now I don't even miss it! GOOD FOR YOU for making changes!

Lisa -- You sound just like Eric. Just move ahead to the next chapter when you feel like you've "got" something. Yes, he does repeat himself a lot -- because these concepts are so totally foreign to most people. You've been hearing about them from me for at least 2 years now, as has Eric, so for the two of you, it may seem more repetetive because of how much you've gleaned ahead of time, you know? Don't give up -- this is life-changing stuff, Lisa! XOXO

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Kerrie said...

Leese, maybe you should try the "French Women Don't Get Fat" book instead - it's basically the same theory except it's like sitting and chatting with a wonderfully charming girlfriend. :)

I've got a bunch of foodie/chemical/additive stuff piling up Jill - I'll have to send you one of those massive link-filled emails whenever my wild life gives me a little breathing room!

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wouldn't want to mail me some, would you?

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Jillian said...

Kerrie -- I'm waiting!

Ken -- I'm not sure it would hold up too well on the trip...so you'll just have to bring your wife down and I'll make you one. :)

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger WendyWings said...

That looks good but not as good as my long lunch lol.
BTW a Flat white is coffee, :)
Ach the auditions are going badly this time, seems no one wants to play !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....


Subscribe to my RSS feed
Previous Posts
Labels
Currently reading:
  • Jillian's Old Diaries from high school....real page turners, to be sure
  • Love Busters by Willard Harley

    Powered by Blogger

    Free Page Rank Checker

    All content of this website is copyright © 2005-2008 Jill Schafer Boehme. All rights reserved. Nothing on this web site, whether in part or in full, may be reproduced in any manner without the written consent of the author.