|
|
|
Tuesday, October 25, 2005Afraid of FallingSad, but true. My accident on (off, really) the garage steps has left me psychologically damaged. Every time I stumble or trip or "almost" fall, I burst into tears. The other day, I smashed my thumb in the pantry door (okay, not "smashed," exactly...), and I burst into tears. Not because it hurt, but because the pain took me right back to the pain of my fall. It's ridiculous, really. But at least I'm aware of it. Somebody tell me that it'll wear off -- that I'll stop crying every time my clumsiness rears its head. As it is, I'm feeling a bit, um, "emotionally fragile." But hey, at least I can sleep on my right side again. You have no idea how happy that makes me. And I've got Something Big and Important I need to write today, which means I won't be in danger of stumbling or falling (unless, like dear Cheez Weezil, I suddenly fall off of my computer chair). Plus, there's a ton of leftover birthday cake from yesterday (daughter Rachel turned ten!). I'm rather proud of myself for concocting a lovely, four-layer cake with lemon filling. Somehow, birthday cake is the ultimate comfort food. Well, besides gourmet chocolate. And homemade macaroni and cheese with ketchup. And my mom's breaded pork chops with mashed potatoes and tomato gravy. And cinnamon toast. I think somebody had better feed me. |
About Me
I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....
Previous Posts
|
3of my readers are feeling chatty:
Oh, oh, oh...I eat macaroni and cheese with ketchup too. I thought I was weird! My dh looks at me kind of strangely every time I reach for the ketchup bottle. You've made me quite hungry!!!
I know how you feel. I fell down steps and broke my elbow about six years ago and for years, everytime I went to step down the stairs, I'd literally have a flashback that took my breath away...Your post made me realize I don't feel like that to that degree any more...I can't pinpoint when it changed, though...hang in there.
DID THE WALLET ARRIVE???
I fell onto a wrought iron railing and broke several ribs about 3 years ago, so I know EXACTLY the misery (and subsequent PTSD/fear of falling,whatever you want to call it) you are going through. My doctor told me that when she was interning, she used to assume people were "drug seeking" coming into the ER and asking for better pain relief after broken ribs. She had since learned MUCH better, through her own family and medical experience, so she was quite sympathetic when she heard that the (INTERN-heh) in the ER had given me a script for Ibuprophen and sent me home, saying I could go to work the next day if I felt like it (I didn't, strangely enough)
This was also MY second ride in an ambulance, ever (being ON the stretcher, that is)You are quite right about the lack of shock absorbency. I had to sleep on the couch for about a month, because I could feel my rib pieces grating against one another when I slept in our waterbed. BLEH! Another thing you get to look forward to is being able to predict things. Rain, Snow, heavy humidity. Believe it! I still can. My side is aching in sympathy for you as I write!! I hope you feel better soon...take your pain meds early and often!
Post a Comment
<< Home