|
|
|
Friday, September 02, 2005SLAMMED by Harry PotterIt's true. It's killing me, but it's true. My son prefers Harry Potter over his mother's novel. "Well, I mean, I liked your story when I read it," he said, "but it's not really my style, you know? I don't really like fantasy." Hello? And Harry Potter is what? World History? It's OK. I'm the one who suggested he read the Harry Potter books. "They really read more like mysteries than anything else," I said. I admit it -- I was desperate for the boy to read. He loves mysteries, so I did a hard sell. And now I've been usurped. And my son really isn't a fan of fantasy. And that's OK, too. Well, it's sort of OK. How any kid can go through life without being in love with the fantasy genre is outside of my ability to understand. But then, I was a weird kid. At any rate, I promised you some book recommendations. This is "List One," which comprises the Elementary Reader level (in no particular order): The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald Abraham Lincoln George Washington Ben Franklin (and other titles) by Ingri and Edgar Parin d'Aulaire The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski Charlotte's Web by E.B. White I hesitantly and not-quite-so-enthusiastically mention The American Girl series, too. Not because they are pillars of literary prowess -- they are not. But they are historically accurate and pleasantly written. They're a good way to "draw in" a reluctant (female) reader. My "middle reader and up" list will come later. I will now slink off and ponder the implications of my son's treachery. Have a wonderful Friday! Labels: writing |
About Me
I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....
Previous Posts |
16of my readers are feeling chatty:
OH my goodness LOL OK you found me surfing blogger, i found you on Blogexplosion. Guess it was meant to be we read each other today, OK off to read about Harry and Jonathan hehheeh
awwwww its OK, you know neither of my boys are really fantasy readers either :-) they are in to beleive it or not, History and religion books LOL they love to learn about all the world has been, and could be :-)
Oh Jesse does do Sci Fi once in a while :-)
OH you know what Levi is currently ready, a math book! LOL oh and a book on Egyptian umm can't think of the name the pictures as words LOL
Awesome post--you know greatness is never appreciated by those who are closest to it...Thanks for the list of books.
Thanks for all the moral support, everyone!!
Doris -- that one takes the cake! I swear they make choices just to keep us guessing...
Oooh good call on the Chronicles of Narnia! Hopefully a little Madeleine L'Engle will make it on the intermediate list. :)
All I ever wanted to read as a child, were biographies. The first book I read from cover to cover, was Diary of Anne Frank. :) I was nine.
Maybe you could get Professor Snape to turn him into a toad or something! :-)
Ken
There's two of you? How do I work out which one to look at?
momof2 -- I read "Alive" when I was 13. I guess that was kinda weird, huh? :)
Hiya, chench! Jonathan's got 4 toads in his bedroom already, and he'd probably LOVE to join them.
gone away -- No, I promise, there's only one of me. One is enough. Just ask my family.
my son is almost 13, he is a sport nut, always outside never sits still some form of "ball" is always in season, and he is always playing it. However, he sat and READ every bit of every harry potter book. he preordered a BOOK!! my son. i dont care who writes it, if it gets my son to READ by CHOICE!?!?! its great!
Okay, for a moment there I thought I'd gone cross-eyed... ;)
Thank you for the list!
My daughter started 1st grade a few weeks back. At the parent curriculum night, her teacher explained that parent and child must spend at least 20 minutes a day reading together, and it must be documented--much to the dismay of many parents in the room. I was amazed!!
My daughter and I are about 4 weeks ahead of schedule so far....
LOL!
dak-ind -- And that, precisely, is the "magic" of HP!
Shuttered -- are you serious?? Parents were dismayed by this? That is mind-boggling.
Is this supposed to be "child reads out loud" time, or "parent reads out loud to child" time? If the latter, then any of the above books would be great choices for reading aloud to her (except perhaps the American Girl books).
If SHE is supposed to be reading to you, have you discovered the LITTLE BEAR books yet? They are WONDERFUL! In fact, they turned my second daughter on to reading when nothing else would. I love them!
I am a big Harry Potter fan, but I have read the Hobbit more times than any other book.
All kids love Harry Potter for some reason. But you know, there are only going to be 7 Harry Potter books. After your kids read those, try suggesting Artemis Fowl, Eragon, The Golden Compass-books kind of like Harry Potter. I'm 13, and I know.
Hi Bill -- thanks for your post! And thanks for the suggestions. You sound like a serious fantasy reader! I started reading fantasy when I was about 12, and I still love it.
Keep my name in your memory. One day, you will see MY fantasy books on the shelves! ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home