|
|
|
Tuesday, September 13, 2005Pickin' ApplesIt was me-n-my sweet six-year-old this morning, on Spencer's First Real Field Trip. I took him to an apple orchard, to learn about making cider and to taste dried apples and to pick an apple from a REAL APPLE TREE. Will you believe me if I tell you that I was worried about being the Oldest Mom in the crowd? Let's face it -- apple orchard field trips are geared for wee youngsters. Spencer is my fourth child -- I've been-there-done-this stuff quite a bit. So I had pictures of not-quite-30 mamas toting their five-year-old firstborns to the orchard. I wore make-up. I didn't stand too close to anyone. I'd worried for nothing, though. Sure, there were a few green-behind-the-ears types there; the kind with no wrinkles yet who smile at their children too much. But the woman who spearheaded the field trip looked old enough to be a grandmother (either that, or she's spent way too much time in the sun). There were other "older moms" present, too, so I didn't feel matronly after all. Go ahead, call me vain. I've only been 40 for a few months and I'm trying to get used to it. Spencer was an absolute doll, though. I didn't have to scold, correct, or shush him even once. Come to think of it, the whole group was pretty darn well-behaved. I'm sure I annoyed everyone within the first five minutes, though. I was snapping pictures like a seasoned paparazzo. That's one benefit of being an "older mom;" you've outgrown the tendency to worry what the other moms are thinking. Precious time amongst the apple trees with my baby -- it was the sweet oasis in what was, overall, a stinky day. Thanks for indulging me in a bit of mommy-goo. |
About Me
I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....
Previous Posts |
9of my readers are feeling chatty:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hey girl, I like the "currently reading" link you've put up. :)
Are we ever going to get those pictures? LOL!
*heart*
What a special time with the baby of the family...How great your family is so BIG...love that.
Oh, yeah, what made you decide to read The Count of Monte Cristo?
LOL Kathie -- you know, I've been meaning to read it for years. Literally years! So I finally broke down and got it from the library.
You know what? It's AWFUL so far! LOL Everything we learn about what NOT to do when writing a novel is done....endless dialogue, talking heads, minute detail, ugh ugh ugh! I can't even keep the characters straight!
I'm going to finish this if it kills me. Then I will have to read some of my beloved Jane Austen simply to clear my head!
Love your blog! Great advice for writers and moms! Or writer/moms. ;)
I like the quote in your headline: "Not going to talk about how old I am. Nope. Not gonna do it."
But, then I read, "I've only been 40 for a few months..."
DOH!
By the way, if you want to read a REALLY bad classic, try "The Scarlet Letter."
Ho...ly.... CRAP!
It's like wading eyeball deep through a pig trough dragging an 18 wheeler on a chain with your teeth. Oh, and you have dogs biting your ankles and monkeys picking things out of your hair. And some fat guy is is sitting in the muck, and you have to go around him.... and... Oh yeah, the book....
Most of the time while doing that wading thing, you are wondering, "When are the characters going to do anything?"
ENDLESS prose, and flowery language that once read makes you think, "What the crap did that say?"
If you were to watch a strict adaptation on the stage, the actors would be in their dressing room for 98% of the production while some crotchety old guy with emphasema did a dramatic reading comprised of words nobody in America has ever heard of, or would be caught dead saying.
Oh... did I say I didn't like the book?
I tried to plow through it, but the writer in me was editing it far too much. I gave it the heave ho, and turned to (sorry) Harry Potter.
The movie is good, I saw it in junior high. I think they shot the old guy before filming.
LOL Dave -- But how do you REALLY feel about the book?!
I read The Scarlett Letter ages ago, and I don't recall being the least bit excited about it.
As for Monte Cristo, I think I've pretty much given up on it. It's not like me to give up on a novel, but this one has proven beyond painful.
And...well, yeah, I DID mention my age in this post. But, but, but...mentioning it isn't the same as TALKING about it. Right? Huh?
You're gonna cut me some slack here, aren't you?
:)
yeah, I'll cut you some slack... I'm 41. and a half. well, maybe a quarter. But definitely 41.
I remember being 20, then bap... I get black balloons the "old as a lump of dirt day".
But as the Bon Jovi song says, "I'm not old... just older."
Excuse me so I can get by with my walker.
Post a Comment
<< Home