Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I was licking an envelope...

..and sliced right through my top lip.

Did you ever have a paper cut on your lip?? Let me tell you something: If one's mood is already slightly on the edge, a paper cut on the lip will definitely topple it over the edge.

Yes, I was already a bit frayed. Not enough sleep, running late, houseguests in my midst -- the works. Nothing serious, just a typical "female mood" kind of morning. It wasn't a good time for a paper cut on my mouth.

And I was being good! I was licking the envelope of a birthday card for my dad. He's turning 72 in a few days, and he looks as gorgeous as ever. So what do I get for being a loving, devoted daughter? A slit on my upper lip!

Naturally, my neurosis has kicked in, and I am now tenderly exploring the cut with my tongue, as if licking it will somehow make it go away. Lick. Hmm, it's still there. Lick, lick. Still there!

I got lots of sympathy from Maggie, though. I told her my paper cut story (with lots of appropriate facial expressions, of course), and she gasped and shuddered and exclaimed and sympathized all at once. It was lovely!

Now I've got to get to the business of writing (which is what my afternoons are largely comprised of). Rest assured that I'll be sitting here licking the stupid cut on my mouth with every click of the keyboard. As if I need another distraction in my life!

At least I can laugh at myself. Sometimes I am completely convinced that things like this only happen to me. I'm the only one who has dropped a puppy or spilled wine on herself or gotten poop underneath her fingernail or fell onto a knife that was sticking point-up out of the dishwasher basket.

From now on, I think I will send birthday emails. There's no possible way I could get a paper cut from my keyboard.

7of my readers are feeling chatty:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger keed said...

true but tech can bite deeper sometimes.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Owies...watch what you eat!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Bob Greenwade said...

Hey, it could have been worse. It could have been the tip of the tongue.

Been there, done that.

More than once.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger supine said...

Hi, I came from BE. Very funny post!

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Etherdust said...

Hi. was just blog hoppin. really nice post!!!

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, funny, funny. Give us more!

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, all, for the responses. Life is funny without a bit of editing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....


Subscribe to my RSS feed
Previous Posts
Labels
Currently reading:
  • Jillian's Old Diaries from high school....real page turners, to be sure
  • Love Busters by Willard Harley

    Powered by Blogger

    Free Page Rank Checker

    All content of this website is copyright © 2005-2008 Jill Schafer Boehme. All rights reserved. Nothing on this web site, whether in part or in full, may be reproduced in any manner without the written consent of the author.