Friday, September 09, 2005

Deafening Silence

Are you an aspiring writer? Then you may not like what I'm going to tell you. Brace yourself.

If you want to be a successful author, you must learn the meaning of the word "wait."

After you finish writing your first draft, you must WAIT several weeks, at the very least, before pulling it out of the drawer to begin editing. Otherwise, you'll remain "too close" to your work and you won't be able to make any effective changes.

Once your manuscript is ready and you've begun rabidly querying the agents of your choice, you must WAIT for a response from each and every one of them. Sometimes the response is complete silence (the weaniest kind of rejection). If you can't play this particular waiting game, you're going to be tempted to give up. You are convinced that your story is the best thing every to grace a ream of paper. Most of the agents you query won't agree with you. That's just the way it is. It stinks, but there you have it.

When you've finally signed a contract with your Dream Agent, the submission process begins, and you must WAIT for responses from the editors. Just when you think all the waiting was over, you have to wait some more.

You will be convinced that the waiting is over for good when you sign that deal with a publisher. That is, until you realize exactly how long it actually takes a book to go from signing to print. At this point, you're hoping you won't be qualifying for Senior discounts by the time your novel is gracing the shelves of your local Borders.

Are you ready to persevere? Remain tenacious? Hang in there until your fingernails fall off? Then you will succeed. Are you more inclined to burst into tears and throw your manuscript into the dying embers? Then you're going to have to grow a thicker skin, a steadier temperament, and the ability to JUST WAIT.

Am I in the midst of playing a particular waiting game right now?

Does it show?


---
Jill Schafer Boehme

7of my readers are feeling chatty:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger Carolyn said...

"Does it show?"
Wait, let me get back to you on that! LOL!

Great advice, and great blog. Thanks! :)

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,

your comments are right on. I am so impatient, but can't imagine not writing and being published one day...But you really spelled out the excrutiating(sp?) waiting game in a way that hits close to home.

 
At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about us poor readers who have waited and waited and have been teased relentlessly about the publishing of this literary work? We are waiting and suffering almost as much as you. :-)

All good things are worth the wait.
Ken

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Michael K. Willis said...

Excellent advice...I find it hard to wait sometimes even though I have to put some distance between myself and the work but I do and it's always for the best.

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww, thank you, everyone!! Here I was offering advice and insight, and I ended up with a monitor-load of encouragement and support.

Gee! :o)

Chench -- you've made me feel wonderful and awful at the same time! LOL Thanks, though, seriously.

Doris -- YOU'RE SO RIGHT!! I would have gone to pieces. Thanks for the affirmation.

And for all of you fellow writers -- I hope you keep stopping by here. There is definitely something to be said about NETWORKING!!

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, well it's been 4 days. Any news yet? Huh? Anything????

:-)

I hope all is well.

 
At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL Chench! If only you knew how much I needed that laugh today. BAD day! BAD!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....


Subscribe to my RSS feed
Previous Posts
Labels
Currently reading:
  • Jillian's Old Diaries from high school....real page turners, to be sure
  • Love Busters by Willard Harley

    Powered by Blogger

    Free Page Rank Checker

    All content of this website is copyright © 2005-2008 Jill Schafer Boehme. All rights reserved. Nothing on this web site, whether in part or in full, may be reproduced in any manner without the written consent of the author.