|
|
|
Friday, September 16, 2005Calling all Writers: Tell Me a Story!
Everybody's got one. A story, that is. And writers...well, we tend to have a sort of compulsion to tell ours, more frequently and with the most interesting and varied words. Now it's time to tell yours. I'll confess: I'm a comment junkie. And what a wonderful way to garner some comments, yes? Simply reply to this post and answer the question, "When did you first discover that you were, above all else, a WRITER?" Oh, and I suppose I should tell my story first. As briefly as possible, of course. I began writing when I was six. My first poem, written in manuscript on pale yellow, first-grade midline paper, was the following: Spring is the time for you and me, Look up high, the birds fly free. Buds are even on the trees, Look up high, there go three bees! Such a beautiful sight to see, Just right for you, just right for me. Not exactly poet laureate material, but not bad for an almost-seven-year-old, either, particular when considering rhyme and meter. When I was eight years old, I had a wonderful third grade English teacher who saw my writing talent and worked with me to compile a collection of my poems and stories for the school library. Just imagine a public school teacher, with her already-huge "take-home" pile of work, spending extra time typing a little girl's literary masterpieces on fragile onion skin, then bringing them back to school so that I could illustrate my words with crayoned pictures. She was a wonderful, inspiring teacher -- and I dedicated Lima Beans to her. Because she was friends with one of the editors of our local city newspaper, my teacher arranged a personal interview, which resulted in a full-page layout. If we're being technical, this was when I was first published. Yes, that's my picture above. March, 1974. The headline read, "Tiny Author's Work Sensitive But Lively." No, I wasn't a child prodigy. I just had a really wonderful teacher and a gift with the written word. But it was definitely the start of my writing journey. I got lost along the way, though, and didn't begin writing seriously until I was in my 30's. But let's call that "Part B" and get to it another day. I don't want you to nod off before you get a chance to tell me YOUR story! Remember, here's the question: ""When did you first discover that you were, above all else, a WRITER?" I anxiously await your responses! ---- Labels: writing |
About Me
I am: Mother to five stunningly individualistic children... Writer of young adult fantasy... Passionate advocate for Women At Home... Madly in love with my husband... In need of Organic Gourmet Chocolate on a regular basis. I've got a Paypal account if you'd like to contribute to the cause....
Previous Posts |
21of my readers are feeling chatty:
My father wanted me to be an attorney. But the day I discovered Shakespeare in junior high school, I knew that Law would be forgotten. So, I became a writer from age 13 when I won the first prize in a regional essay competition in Nigeria and at 17 I was already a professional script writer for TV Puppet Drama. I won another first prize for my poetry and I became an editor of a national magazine at 24. My literature also got me a post as a national program coordinator for the UNICEF at 25.And I have been writing, producing and directing since then to date.
In my case, I'm more of a poet, than a novelist. I had my attempts on making stories in recent years, but I always never finish them. My parents used to say that when i was a kid, i was a super liar. making up stories either to amuse grown-ups or to convince other kids. And they saw a potential in me to be a writer i guess, so whenever i get in truoble for the stories/lies i tell, my punishment was to write it all down and wont get out of my room til its done. It turned out to be some kind of training maybe. Maybe not. hmm... oh well, just for now im more of writing poems. Visit my blog sometime, heard you were a "comment junkie" hehe.. i am too... 8)
I am still finding my "voice" although I did win a short story contest at age 10. I know everyone supposedly has a book in them. I am still deciding what mine is.
Oh goodness...am I a writer? The stigma has two images for me, a starving artist and famous best selling author. I am neither, nor am I in between. Frankly I didn't think I could write at all. I'm much better at sales and marketing and nursing.
As of late there have been several people in my life who have encouraged me to "get with it" and create something, hence, Sharmie's. It is too long to post here but you are welcome to come to my place and read it. I'm a bit new to blogging but I'm pretty sure if you click on my name up above it will take you were I recommend you go.
Whatever I can do to quit my day job and be supported by doing something I have passion for.
You have a great site!
Well, since you asked...My father has written every day of his life, never sought publication, but writes without fail. As a kid, my sister was more the writer than me, but as I got older two things happened. One, I spent the most wonderful years in college having so much fun, feeling like I'd never again recapture what it felt like to road trip up and down the California Coast--running into nafarious characters, laughing...just laughing so hard at everything that happened to us...So then, I started working out a book, the idea of writing one to keep forever, those feelings of adventure and fun...Second thing, was I got to be opinionated and boring in my desire to express my thoughts. Someone zoned out while I was droning on about one thing or another and I realized, people don't want to hear my voice, so I'll write what I'm thinking...that way only those who want to hear me, will read...and after I finished my dissertation for my Ph.D., I finally took my writing out of my mind and put it on paper...I started writing for myself...compelled to write stories and essays and novels...while keeping my day job. It's about seven years since my dissertation and I've been obsessed with writing, like my father...but unlike him, I'm not satisfied with the process of it, though I love that, I need to be published...only then will I feel as though what I've written will be "real." In the broader sense, if I never get published, I will have quite a collection of documents for our family history...But, as difficult as it is to write, be rejected, make changes, etc. I couldn't stop if I tried--and I have tried to stop at times of frustration...no dice, its in my blood.
Isn't it something to create, to fashion, to shape and frame anothers thoughts. Hmm. Nice.
I have written sporadically throughout my life, mostly poetry. I have written several short stories, and am currently working on a novel. I love the escape. It is great to be totally immersed in the story, and oblivious to everything else.
Sriously? I did it to win a girl's heart: another suitor in MY was writing Kerouac Style poetry that wowed her.
I hated English in school (I was the only kid in the history of the school to be in Honors and Remedial English in the same semster)...
I got into writing and got hooked. Several books and an NEA later I am still writing.
I live in China and teach English to students who cherish the language and all things Western.
I won, and later lest the girl, gut my passion fo wrting continues.
Thanks!
En if I cannot spell in the China dark today...:)
Writing never occurred to me until I had to write a story for my 8th grade English class. It was one of those "It was a dark and stormy night" stories. The ending came to me in a flash and impressed my teacher and the class so much that I won a prize. That's when the writing bug bit me.
Wow, thank you all SO MUCH for these great responses! Isn't it interesting how writing can "grab" us in such varied ways. Yet once we are in its hold, it's very much the same for all of us -- we simply MUST write!
I'm delighted by the response here, and I've enjoyed reading these.
Kitty -- What, you're not going to tell us the WONDERFUL ENDING?? ;)
Kathie -- In what do you hold your PhD?? I'm impressed!
Would you mind a comment from one who knows she's not a writer? :-D
You already know I love your enthusiasm for your craft my friend! As I read this entry and everyone's comments I wondered if proper nurturing, or the lack thereof, is what makes or breaks a passion. I've decided that might have something to do with it, but I think it runs much deeper...
I hadn't thought much about it when you've mentioned your childhood writing in the past Jill, but (and I know this won't surprise you!) I too had a bunch of poems in the paper when I was young, along with a scrapbook full of certificates and ribbons for winning contests. I was also in that whole well-intentioned "gifted and talented" programme through most of my school years. Somewhere around 4th grade we published a spiral-bound book of our work, mostly illustrated by yours truly.
Psycho-mom was actually supportive of this supposed talent, she probably gushed too much over each verse and even though it was my own I was fully aware that I wasn't exactly Homer.
Today I couldn't recite a single line of what I wrote in my youth if my life depended on it. I can't even claim to have any enjoyable memories of the writing, I can remember sitting on my bed jotting down my poems, but I think back then they sprang by necessity from the overflowing angst of a tortured adolescent soul - LOL! Perhaps it's true then, that one must suffer to write... ;-D
I've been told at different points in my life that I'm wasting potential, but it's not enough to have the talent, one must obviously have the desire and the drive.
I admire those of you who've been gifted with the entire package, and I'm happy to leave all this difficult work to you. I'm reasonably certain that I was created to be your audience. ;-)
As I said, it was one of those dark'n'stormy nights stories -- I was 13 & thought I was sooo clever. As I was sitting at the kitchen table writing away, I had failed to notice that I had no idea whatsoever HOW I was going to end it. The damned thing was due the next morning and my mother was yelling at me to get ready for bed when the ending came to me: The poor woman had dreamed it! My teacher & the class thought I was sooo clever :)
LOL kitty -- a true "Frank Baum" moment, yes?
KD -- I completely understand what you are saying. And despite the lack of fire in your belly to pursue writing as a career, you are, indeed, a BEAUTIFUL writer, and I always enjoy reading what you've written (unless, of course, you're taking me to task on something...). :D Your talent in other areas is astounding, and methinks you are traveling the right course in your life.
I decided to be a writer in the first grade. I couldn't find books I wanted to read, so I decided that when I grew up I would write them. I first tried to write a novel when I was 10. For me, writing has been a fickle and sometimes cruel lover, but one I can't turn away from. I'll swear I'm giving it up, that I'll never write again, only to find myself drawn back to it. I'm a writer because I can't help it. I have to play with words and try to tell stories, whether I do it well or badly.
Hey Jill, my Ph.D. is in education--Reading specifically....
I won an essay writing contest in the third grade. honestly, I don't remember even writing the essay, but when I go back and read it now, I am quite impressed with my command of the subject and my creativity. At age 8!
That's a lovely story. I never got the hang of writing good poetry, although I do like reading good poetry.
I always wrote essays in school & college that were highly praised by my teachers & professors, but it didn't occur to me that I was a closet writer until I found my stash of journals dating back to 6th grade. I realized, with no small amount of shock, that I had been writing nearly every day of my life.
Basically, I write because it's inconceivable not to write.
Now if only I could make some money from writing, I would be ecstatic.
Lisa and cube -- two more "lifetime, can't-breathe-if-I-don't-do-it writers!"
Very nice to meet you both. :)
Just surfed in through Blog Explosion and I love this blog and will be adding it to my blogroll.
Some great stories here. Mine also started when I was six. We were learning about foxes in school and we were supposed to draw a picture of a fox and then write a few lines about them. I wrote this long story about a mummy and baby fox running to esacpe from a wolf. My teacher gasped when she read it and said that she had only been expecting a few factual lines. She was one of the supportive teachers. Another one I remember used to excuse me fom sport lessons (I hated them) and let me stay inside writing stories instead. As I grew older though teachers became less supportive and would brush my ambitions aside as 'pipe dreams' and finaly I was persuaded to follow other avenues. Until about a year ago that is, when I started taking writing seriously again. I've completed the first draft of a novel, it still needs lots of work but I'm pleased all the same!
Purple elephant -- thanks for sharing your story, and thanks for blogrolling me! The influence of a supportive teacher is truly immeasurable.
Anna -- you are "real" insomuch as you WRITE. And you breathe! Write, write, write, and don't worry about labeling yourself. Write, and you are a "real" writer.
Post a Comment
<< Home